Tips On: Making a Zombie Apocalypse in RPG Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasGodzilla

God of Gaming
VIP
Overview
Hello everyone, my name is LucasGodzilla and today I will give you some tips and suggestions for making a Zombie Apocalypse RPG Horror. I know all of you have ideas for one, but I am sure that you can use some suggestions for it. So let's begin shall we?
Story
Now, every RPG needs a story, even if it's just a short and simple horror game. Now here are some suggestions for the story.

• The apocalypse will need a cause: A Virus? A Chemical Weapon? Aliens or Demons?
  • Who is the main character: A Survivor? A Soldier or Federal Figure? A Political Person?
  • Was this a gradual infection or an instant apocalypse?
  • Are there survivor cities or are you left fending off with a few other survivors?
  • Where is this all taking place? In the UK or the USA or what?

These are only ideas that came up from the top of my head at the moment. But mainly, just think about it. Just try to fill out all of the blanks people may ask about in the story.

Graphics

Now, art is a great way to sell your game. With some decent looking horror pixel-art, your zombie apocalypse will look more unique and less noobish looking. Believe me, no one would want to play a game made with the default graphics. Now, if you have some money to spare, I would reccomend buying the following resource packs for RPG Maker.
  • RPG Maker: Always Sometimes Monsters Asset Pack​
  • RPG Maker: Zombie Survival Graphic Pack​

Now I know what you're thinking, these packs don't work together but I am here to tell you that they can work. With a little bit of time and dedication, you can edit the tilesets for the two packs and create something beautiful. Don't believe me? Check out my demo that you can try out below.
Fractured Memories
A Workshop Item for RPG Maker VX Ace
By: LucasGodzilla
This is a demo to show that combining tilesets can work.

I almost forgot to mention this. If you are interested in some neat battler graphics of zombies, check out the following link below and download the zip file that is called U-Z.
Another thing you should consider is the lighting. For the lighting, I would reccommend Khas' Awesome Light Effects. It is the single most BEST lighting script ever made. It creates beautiful dynamic lighting that is aware to walls and more. You can find the workshop demo for it below.
Sound
Atmosphere is EVERYTHING in a horror game. People can have a very cute looking game and still be creepy. Now, I don't really have a reccommendation for a sound pack, but I guess if you have some money to spare, I guess you could just buy the RPG Maker: Survival Horror Music Pack on Steam for $20.

Now for the bit that I DO have reccommendation on. For the music bit of your game, do NOT buy a music pack. I have yet to hear a great sounding music pack by Joel Steudler. I may buy a music pack by either a different artist or better, make your own! If you have something like a copy of FL Studio or something, you can make a creepy ambient-like soundtrack for your game using soundfonts or so. My personal tip to you for this kind of music, you should look up the soundtrack for Doom 64.

Aubrey Hodges' work in that game is a MASTERPIECE. Now here's the best part: There's a PC source port of the game that you can download, and you can rip a soundfont made specifically for the game. With the soundfont, you can make music with this kind of style. Sounds awesome right?

Conclusion
Thank you all for checking out my personal tips for you. If you found this guide useful or helpful in anyway at all, please leave a like. Leave a comment if you think that this guide can be improved.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438916786,1438916759][/DOUBLEPOST]Check out the original Steam version here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=466227083

Triblaze

God of Gaming
Overview
Hello everyone, my name is LucasGodzilla and today I will give you some tips and suggestions for making a Zombie Apocalypse RPG Horror. I know all of you have ideas for one, but I am sure that you can use some suggestions for it. So let's begin shall we?
Story
Now, every RPG needs a story, even if it's just a short and simple horror game. Now here are some suggestions for the story.

• The apocalypse will need a cause: A Virus? A Chemical Weapon? Aliens or Demons?
  • Who is the main character: A Survivor? A Soldier or Federal Figure? A Political Person?
  • Was this a gradual infection or an instant apocalypse?
  • Are there survivor cities or are you left fending off with a few other survivors?
  • Where is this all taking place? In the UK or the USA or what?

These are only ideas that came up from the top of my head at the moment. But mainly, just think about it. Just try to fill out all of the blanks people may ask about in the story.

Graphics
Now, art is a great way to sell your game. With some decent looking horror pixel-art, your zombie apocalypse will look more unique and less noobish looking. Believe me, no one would want to play a game made with the default graphics. Now, if you have some money to spare, I would reccomend buying the following resource packs for RPG Maker.
  • RPG Maker: Always Sometimes Monsters Asset Pack​
  • RPG Maker: Zombie Survival Graphic Pack​

Now I know what you're thinking, these packs don't work together but I am here to tell you that they can work. With a little bit of time and dedication, you can edit the tilesets for the two packs and create something beautiful. Don't believe me? Check out my demo that you can try out below.
Fractured Memories

I almost forgot to mention this. If you are interested in some neat battler graphics of zombies, check out the following link below and download the zip file that is called U-Z.
Another thing you should consider is the lighting. For the lighting, I would reccommend Khas' Awesome Light Effects. It is the single most BEST lighting script ever made. It creates beautiful dynamic lighting that is aware to walls and more. You can find the workshop demo for it below.
Sound
Atmosphere is EVERYTHING in a horror game. People can have a very cute looking game and still be creepy. Now, I don't really have a reccommendation for a sound pack, but I guess if you have some money to spare, I guess you could just buy the RPG Maker: Survival Horror Music Pack on Steam for $20.

Now for the bit that I DO have reccommendation on. For the music bit of your game, do NOT buy a music pack. I have yet to hear a great sounding music pack by Joel Steudler. I may buy a music pack by either a different artist or better, make your own! If you have something like a copy of FL Studio or something, you can make a creepy ambient-like soundtrack for your game using soundfonts or so. My personal tip to you for this kind of music, you should look up the soundtrack for Doom 64.

Aubrey Hodges' work in that game is a MASTERPIECE. Now here's the best part: There's a PC source port of the game that you can download, and you can rip a soundfont made specifically for the game. With the soundfont, you can make music with this kind of style. Sounds awesome right?

Conclusion
Thank you all for checking out my personal tips for you. If you found this guide useful or helpful in anyway at all, please leave a like. Leave a comment if you think that this guide can be improved.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438916786,1438916759][/DOUBLEPOST]Check out the original Steam version here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=466227083
Neat will have to try RPG Maker. Does it let you download other peoples RPGs? ...better start saving, its $1000 in the store lol.

LucasGodzilla

God of Gaming
VIP
Neat will have to try RPG Maker. Does it let you download other peoples RPGs? ...better start saving, its $1000 in the store lol.
Yeah it does. You can export it and have other people play it. It's rather neat, plus Steam has a workshop for it.

ph34r

God of Gaming
Sadly enough, last month, there was a huge humble bundle sale. You could've gotten it and a crap ton of other things for like $15
ive bough it, havent use it though
it's 12$ for all game maker engine (and there's alot)

Last edited:

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Very nice guide!

You can download other people's RPG Maker games to play without having RPG Maker, so long as they've published them somewhere.
IF they haven't encrypted them (most will do) you can even import it into RPG Maker to see what scripts they used and how it was made.
You can export your own game into an executable to publish and sell (as long as the assets used allow commercial usage, otherwise you can export but shouldn't try to sell it).

skelton912

God of Gaming
Holy cow that's awesome Lucas! on that link can I download and try your game? This might actually make me wanna get into game making.

Nevermind, I reread the thread lol

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Technically i could easily make a tutorial for making games in Game Maker Studio, since it's free and all pretty much anyone could also try themselves to make their own spin on a game concept.

Right now i'm actually working on a game, generally for fun as a time wasting effort but i rarely distribute it to people since i dont showcase it unless people ask.

skelton912

God of Gaming
Technically i could easily make a tutorial for making games in Game Maker Studio, since it's free and all pretty much anyone could also try themselves to make their own spin on a game concept.

Right now i'm actually working on a game, generally for fun as a time wasting effort but i rarely distribute it to people since i dont showcase it unless people ask.
That would be really awesome dude. I would honestly give it a go if I had a nice guide. TBH I had no idea that was around and free, thanks for even pointing me to it!

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
That would be really awesome dude. I would honestly give it a go if I had a nice guide. TBH I had no idea that was around and free, thanks for even pointing me to it!
Yeah, you can only export to Windows with the free version thou (which is kinda optimal as i use windows).

Making games is something that take awhile to get into, and a lot of patience.... and too much dedication >.<
Takes a long time before you can make darn good games but in the start you will be able to make basic games. Basic games are sometimes funnier than complicated games ironically

skelton912

God of Gaming
I long for a free plug n play creator....... Something you just kinda slap things together, edit a thing here n there and go with it. I know "go learn to code you noob, Don't get into game creation if you can't even figure it out" I get it but I think it would be a neat for those of us who didn't learn to code at the age of 10 lol

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
I did program a game once but it was awful its just awful
Yup, my current project have far too many scripts so even i have a problem to keep track of them (And i even organize them throughly).

I long for a free plug n play creator....... Something you just kinda slap things together, edit a thing here n there and go with it. I know "go learn to code you noob, Don't get into game creation if you can't even figure it out" I get it but I think it would be a neat for those of us who didn't learn to code at the age of 10 lol
Game Maker Studio actually proves a "Drag an Drop" System where you can make collisions, destroying stuff, Creating stuff and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.