Welcome to ArchGamers

The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! If you're looking to participate in our amazing community, you can apply by going onto our discord and PMing a member of the council.

Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceGolem

God of Gaming
Local time
Today, 14:40
I was surprised that there was no Books thread, so I figured I could make one myself :)
Favourite genre ?
Favourite book ?
Favourite author ?
E - book or classic ?
Be free to post anything book-related here :)

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Today, 09:40
I have no favorite-favorite on most things. I just go more by mood.

Genre wise, like I mentioned in the other topic, I'm into Sci-fi, fantasy and horror most, then mystery and comedy, then pretty much everything else. I've been known to read YA and Romances and Erotica and other such weird and not so weird stuff. lol
Hence, I have no one favorite book (or author), though I like the Judge Dee series, LOTR, and a few others... you can feel free to add me/browse my books on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1533779-lkm (but I take no responsibility on you guys finding out more than you cared to know about me through my reading list ;P)

I prefer physical books, but lately I've just been reading a lot of ebooks for availability reasons. :)

BananaPie

God of Gaming
VIP
Local time
Favourite genre ? Sci-Fi,Fantasy,Horror and Crimiminalist stuff
Favourite book ? Sherlock Holmes,Lord of the Rings,Hobbit,Silmarillion,Harry Potter,everything from Agatha Christie
Favourite author ? J.R.R. Tolkien,Dan Brown,Sir Arthur Connan Doyle,Agatha Christie
E - book or classic ? Same as @CasualCastiel :D

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Genre? Fantasy mostly :3
Book? Artemis Fowl, Eragon
Author? To be honest i dont care about authors much.
Classic, In sweden librarys are free to use as long as you return the book within 4 weeks of loaning them(can be extended by re-loaning), i also live around 300 meters away from the library so i spend some of my time there.

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 01:40
Favourite genre?
-Fantasy>Horror>Sci-Fi

Favourite book?
-I am Legend, Harry Potter, The Vampire Chronicles, The Hobbit

Favourite author ?
-Anne Rice

E - book or classic ?
-Classic, baby.

Right now, I'm reading this book series called the Morgaine Cycle by CJ Cherry. It consists of three short, 200+ page books and one ~500 page book.
It's about a guy who gets exiled from his village/clan and meets some strange woman who comes out of a gate (a portal that connects two worlds at different times in history, but they only go in one direction). She is on a quest to destroy the main gate on each world and passing through it to the next world. She does this because the gates possess great and dangerous powers. One of which is the power for a man to move his conscience into the body of another, abandoning his old body and claiming the new one.
Each book takes place on a different world, and follows the perspective of the exiled man who becomes her servant.
I enjoy the series so far, and I'm on the last book.

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Favourite author ?
-Anne Rice
Pre or post finding God? <.<

The book you're reading rings a bell, must have read the synopsis somewhere, because I'm sure I haven't read the book itself. Sounds interesting though! Right now I'm reading Micro by Michael Crichton. It started good, but... not liking it so much as it goes deeper into the story. X/

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Pre or post finding God? <.<

The book you're reading rings a bell, must have read the synopsis somewhere, because I'm sure I haven't read the book itself. Sounds interesting though! Right now I'm reading Micro by Michael Crichton. It started good, but... not liking it so much as it goes deeper into the story. X/
Lol. Before, when she began the vampire chronicles. I started reading Interview with a Vampire one night at like 2am after my friends fell asleep, and didn't stop reading it until they woke up at like 11.
I've read 6-7 of the vampire novels, and I think she did most of those before she started being religious again. I'm not going to touch any of the Christ books, but I'm going to keep going through the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witch books.

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Lol. Before, when she began the vampire chronicles. I started reading Interview with a Vampire one night at like 2am after my friends fell asleep, and didn't stop reading it until they woke up at like 11.
I've read 6-7 of the vampire novels, and I think she did most of those before she started being religious again. I'm not going to touch any of the Christ books, but I'm going to keep going through the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witch books.
Ah, okay. lol I loved The Vampire Chronicles~I think I read about 5-6 of the vampire series myself, probably didn't keep track of all. I had been having troubles finding the others for a while, and now that I have them I've just not gotten around to it. So much to read... so little time... I was a little sad when she came out with the whole thing about no-fanfics and then weirded out with the religious-y kind of books, so I sort of drifted away from her stuff.

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Ah, okay. lol I loved The Vampire Chronicles~I think I read about 5-6 of the vampire series myself, probably didn't keep track of all. I had been having troubles finding the others for a while, and now that I have them I've just not gotten around to it. So much to read... so little time... I was a little sad when she came out with the whole thing about no-fanfics and then weirded out with the religious-y kind of books, so I sort of drifted away from her stuff.
It took me a while to get them too. I couldn't find a couple of them in any bookstores or the library. It took me like a month to find one so that I could continue the series. I have all of the vampire books leading up to the Mayfair Witches (although I've read them all by now), as well as the first three witch books (I got them in a bundle for cheap :cool:). So, I'm set for a while.

Yeah, the religious stuff surprised me when I found out about them. Anne Rice is a weird person. She flip-flops on everything after a couple of years.
That doesn't stop her from being a good writer though. :p

Last edited:

ParanoiDoom

God of Gaming
Local time
Today, 07:40
Favorite Genre? Fantasy, Scifi

Favorite Books? The Wheel of Time, Inkheart, The Beyonder, The Golden Compass (Dark Materials)

Favorite Authors? Brandon Mull, Robert Jordan, Tamora Pierce

I mostly read in paperback but E-books are so convenient that I have a couple of series on the Kindle. The Wheel of Time is fourteen books long and I started reading it two months ago and I am on the fourth book. I adore this series due to its constant turmoil and chaos.

The Beyonder is one of the most imaginative series I have ever read, it is three books long and I hope to see another series in that world one day. It has sentient zombies controlled by worms, terrifying swordsmen called Torivors that are hyped up so well and they are my favorite monster now, and people who call can take off their limbs and put them back on like a Mr. Potato Head.

Inkheart is one of those series that hold a special place in my heart, the characters are just sublime and their growth is some of the best I have read.

Dark Materials is legendary and I am sure it will be considered a classic one day.

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Favorite Genre? Fantasy, Scifi

Favorite Books? The Wheel of Time, Inkheart, The Beyonder, The Golden Compass (Dark Materials)
Oh i remeber starting The Wheel of Time, but i couldnt really get into it even after the first 3 books.

I also read the "The Seeker" a few years ago which now appears to have had a TV series adapted to itself, enjoyed that book.
Another one i read was "The tale of the clan Otori" Which is a bit less fantasy, i actually own all the books of it as i enjoyed them greatly.

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Yeah, the religious stuff surprised me when I found out about them. Anne Rice is a weird person. She flip-flops on everything after a couple of years.
That doesn't stop her from being a good writer though. :p
Haha, yeah, I agree. I really like her books... well, the non religious-y ones. She did really neat vampires, too. (Disclaimer: it's not that I have anything against religion, I just don't want it shoved down my throat XD)

Another one i read was "The tale of the clan Otori" Which is a bit less fantasy, i actually own all the books of it as i enjoyed them greatly.
<.< You know, I started reading that series, the first book was quite nice, but then the next book I read wasn't so good, and the next one just kept going downhill, to the point where I just didn't want to read the series anymore (I think I was only one book away from the end of it?) I really don't know what it was, but something really clashed with me.
I was much fonder of Matsuoka's Samurai series. (Cloud of Sparrows and Autumn Bridge).

Last edited by a moderator:

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
<.< You know, I started reading that series, the first book was quite nice, but then the next book I read wasn't so good, and the next one just kept going downhill, to the point where I just didn't want to read the series anymore (I think I was only one book away from the end of it?) I really don't know what it was, but something really clashed with me.
I was much fonder of Matsuoka's Samurai series. (Cloud of Sparrows and Autumn Bridge).
Yeah, i can agree that i was a bit disappointed with parts of the later books, if i remeber correctly there were 4 books where the last book was a prologue to the first book.
Some parts really did not stick properly

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Yeah, i can agree that i was a bit disappointed with parts of the later books, if i remeber correctly there were 4 books where the last book was a prologue to the first book.
Some parts really did not stick properly
Yeah, I think that was it. I quit somewhere in book 3, which is a shame because for once I had found all 4 books at the same time and taken the chance on them. lol

Triblaze

God of Gaming
Local time
Today, 05:40
No mention of Hitchikers Increasingly Named Trilogy!? Love all of them, Douglass Adams is great and even Eoin Colfer wrote one :D

ParanoiDoom

God of Gaming
Local time
Today, 07:40
Another good book series I read was the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott. Ever heard of it?
I think I have the whole series but I am not sure. That series is one of the first ones I really got into and just had to find all the books.

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
In my introduction thread that turned into a book discussion ;)

Another good book series I read was the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott. Ever heard of it?
That would be the one. XD My bad!

I heard of that series, but never read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About AGC:

AGC = ArchGamers Community. The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! AGC is an invite only group of quality gamers that are interested in both hardcore and laid back gaming.

Discord: