Tips for the welcome email

skelton912

God of Gaming
Hi guys!

Not sure but im figuring its an automated thing. The welcome email new members receive in the inbox here on the site could use a simple little tune up. I noticed you had 3 links to various parts of the website such as the profile page, introductions, etc. and while those are GREAT places to lead to it might help to make them slightly more aesthetically pleasing by containing those long strings of links into short words Like this!!!!

It also might gain you a little steam if you were to add 1 more line describing how to link people to the website. I read somewhere that you can get a link to your profile kind of to invite new people to join and it might help to just mention "Hey! if you like the site and would like to heres a link to how to invite others and gain a little something for your time!"

These were just first glance things i think would really help shape up the site a little more. If you have any comments positive or negative let me know. A little bit of collaboration goes a long way! o///o

Triblaze

God of Gaming
Good points. The functionality for short links is already there, for examplr in my signature and the example you put above.

skelton912

God of Gaming
Exactly why I mentioned it, im a huge fan of shortening links especially now days when a forums page can be blah.com/forum/ojgojgojgogjogjgogjogj lol. Its easy to not think of little nit picky stuff like that but it does make a difference.

Triblaze

God of Gaming
Exactly why I mentioned it, im a huge fan of shortening links especially now days when a forums page can be blah.com/forum/ojgojgojgogjogjgogjogj lol. Its easy to not think of little nit picky stuff like that but it does make a difference.
Yeah it looks cleaner and more professional @Xyphien

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
I'm not sure how Xenforo handles automated emails, Xyphien will have to play around with that if it's possible (probably is).

Inviting people/make a link is easy enough, it's in your profile bar where there is a "invite friends" option, we could probably link it in the welcome email, but it could be seen as too much shameless advertising by many people.

Most things on your profile/experience can be found in the upper right corner dropdown.

skelton912

God of Gaming
I feel mildly derppy as I never even thought to look up there. So much now days is on the right hand side I just over looked that invite friends tab almost dead in the middle of the screen and I do see where your coming at with shameless advertising which is why I mentioned the gainfulness of it. Not sure how I would word it myself so I can't fight hard for it but it was worth mentioning it right lol.

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
I feel mildly derppy as I never even thought to look up there. So much now days is on the right hand side I just over looked that invite friends tab almost dead in the middle of the screen and I do see where your coming at with shameless advertising which is why I mentioned the gainfulness of it. Not sure how I would word it myself so I can't fight hard for it but it was worth mentioning it right lol.
I actually overlooked a lot of functions when i came here, couldnt even properly set up my profile XD Took a bit of trial and error to get everything done.

It's definitly worth mentioning, inviting people is a nice thing as it expands the community with more faces :) Maybe Xyphien will do that but i think Xyphien will instead make use of the "Invite people giveaways" to push people into inviting more people :)

We do appreciate all feedback to make the site a better place, A forum is nothing without it's community after all!

Xyphien

Founder
Staff member
Admin
Knights
I wanted to do that, but the system I currently have in place doesn't even do linked automated messages, if you notice you can't even click on the links. Until I can figure out what's causing this, it'll simply look how it is until then. As for the added stuff, I can throw that into there no problem. I appreciate you taking the time to give some improvements to the site :)

skelton912

God of Gaming
I did really like the approach to "recruiting" with the giveaways. Giving someone a chance to get something for helping you out is always a win win and it really does work, im involved in quite a few groups on steam and that, more than anything else seems to be the biggest buff for getting people in.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438733392,1438733264][/DOUBLEPOST]No problem Xyphien! That stinks that it doesn't allow allow you to add links or condense those links down at all. I have no experience with this hosting company so I can't offer suggestions there but im glad to offer any assistance I can!

Xyphien

Founder
Staff member
Admin
Knights
I did really like the approach to "recruiting" with the giveaways. Giving someone a chance to get something for helping you out is always a win win and it really does work, im involved in quite a few groups on steam and that, more than anything else seems to be the biggest buff for getting people in.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438733392,1438733264][/DOUBLEPOST]No problem Xyphien! That stinks that it doesn't allow allow you to add links or condense those links down at all. I have no experience with this hosting company so I can't offer suggestions there but im glad to offer any assistance I can!
It's not my host, I've used the host for years and you simply get emailed when you get a PM, which is what is automated, on top of the email. So the email simply states what the PM says. The host allows links because I use it all the time via email. It's the automated PM addon we're using currently that's a bit bugged.

skelton912

God of Gaming
ah thats crummy. The site i use has that built in so its not addons and what not its more stream lined which is why I mentioned it. Again its touch up stuff and not deal breaking for anyone im sure lol.

skelton912

God of Gaming
lol thank you jake! Triblaze don't you know anything about owning a sever!?!?! you just click a button and everything works exactly as you want it to....... obviously why Xyphien is the owner and not you! :p juuusssssss keeeeeeeedddddddding <3

Triblaze

God of Gaming
lol thank you jake! Triblaze don't you know anything about owning a sever!?!?! you just click a button and everything works exactly as you want it to....... obviously why Xyphien is the owner and not you! :p juuusssssss keeeeeeeedddddddding <3
Yeah I wish. Most of this forum engine is pre built, otherwise it would be a royal pain to code.

skelton912

God of Gaming
lol and that my dear friend is why I take the easy route and use Enjin. Not as much for full websites but it does what I need it too.