Welcome to ArchGamers

The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! If you're looking to participate in our amazing community, you can apply by going onto our discord and PMing a member of the council.

Too much clutter?

What should we do with the sidebar/navigation

• Remove some (Tell us what below)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Keep them how it is, it's fine.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Explain Below)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Xyphien

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 19:59
Hello everyone! I feel I have way too much cluster on the forums. Meaning, I feel like there's way too much in the sidebar, navigation, etc.

We have so much stuff in the sidebar it drags the page on even longer than it's suppose to go, and the navigation has Home, Forums (Going to be different from home here soon), Bank, Raffles, Shops, Blogs, Members, Invite Friends, and now Badges.

Should we take and remove some? Or what do you all think of it, is it fine how it is, or should we remove some, add separate links for them somewhere, etc.

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:59
The only problem i have with it is the scrolling issue, this is due to the ADs being "out of proportion" thou and not the sidebars themselves

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 14:59
I think it looks okay.
As long as we don't add any more stuff, we should be good.

The sidebars are a bit long though. Removing either the years registered or level from appearing would prevent it from overextending the post by to much.
The "Join date" makes the years registered symbol thing redundant. And I don't think the green bar is super useful for anyone.

iXanon

Øŋɇ Ŵĩŋḡɇď ₳ŋḡɇᶅ
VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:59
Yeah, the user info in posts has got a little cluttered..

I would agree with @sage about removing the green ratings bar and the joined date. That information can still be easily found by clicking someone's username if someone feels like being nosey!

Would it be possible to maybe do something with the user level that is similar to the online indicator, except shrink it slightly and move it to the top right of a user's picture? Or would that conflict with the online indicator?

------

As for the navigation bar, you could remove the Bank link since that is pretty much covered by the GH$ link on the right.

Shops and Raffles could also probably be merged.

------

I got bored and did mockups to (roughly) demonstrate the space savings..

Attachments

Last edited:

~Dev

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 20:59
This may be a bit off topic. But i think we should lock a thread after it has gone inactive/has been answered. I see threads that get posts that havnt been active in a month or more.

iXanon

Øŋɇ Ŵĩŋḡɇď ₳ŋḡɇᶅ
VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:59
This may be a bit off topic. But i think we should lock a thread after it has gone inactive/has been answered. I see threads that get posts that havnt been active in a month or more.
It's a fine balance between this, and duplicate threads continually being posted.

There's only so many times I can stomach "What is your favourite game?", etc. - Better off keeping it in a single thread, or doing a yearly one IMO.

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 14:59
I think we've talked about this before. We made the "Resolved" section in Suggestions and Feedback. We should probably make one in the Help section too.

I usually lock resolved Help and Suggestion threads that I stumble across, but I don't check the section regularly just so I can lock them.
If you come across answered ones, feel free to lock them.

I got bored and did mockups to (roughly) demonstrate the space savings..
I like the second one a lot. It fixes pretty much everything. The level is a bit hard to see, but that doesn't matter because it's a mockup. Good job.

I don't think the raffle thing rally adds to the clutter, but combining Shops and Raffles would make sense.

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Today, 22:59
I try to close threads I see that have been solved or are terribly out of date (for instance, old giveaways that have been over for weeks and people keep posting to), but I don't actively search and enter each one to see if the giveaway is over. That would just take forever. :p So sometimes I miss some.

I really don't think there was too much clutter on the sidebars, though it does look a bit better without the karma bar, even if I do feel that it helped a bit to encourage users to behave. :p

As for the top bar, any chance to put a button like the mobile version has, where you can put least accessed things on so that they're still accessible, just hidden away in a more accessible manner rather than outright removing them?

Rosire Sabido

God of Gaming
VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:59
I think you should remove the side bar so it will also lessen the scrolling in mobile. And put the side bar in king of a openable tab like facebook when your gonna log out. but I dunno you decide it's just my opinion.

About AGC:

AGC = ArchGamers Community. The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! AGC is an invite only group of quality gamers that are interested in both hardcore and laid back gaming.

Discord: