Upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyphien

Founder
Staff member
Admin
Knights
At the bottom right of your task bar (If you're running windows 10 with the classic shell addon) you should see a small windows icon. It just randomly popped up for me today, and when I clicked it it prompted me with a free windows 10 update. Saying once Windows 10 comes out, I will be able to download it completely free of charge. Figured I'd let you all know in case y'all trying to upgrade as well and have windows 8.

Untitled.png

JYN

God of Gaming
Anyone that has Windows 7 or above will be able to update to Windows 10 FOR FREE (Once it comes out obviously...)
I hope you all is looking forward to it because I am and I hope you do to.

Epik10000

God of Gaming
I'm totally going to update, sadly im not sure if it's going to affect any game performance since i own Windows 8.

JYN

God of Gaming
Unfortunately it does delete all your data, however if you buy a 32 GB or 64 GB USB you can back up all your files from their (Copy and paste files) You could use a 8GB but someone like me a graphics designer and a editor needs more than just a 8GB, If you live round the UK you could buy one from Argos for £20 or so. The Reason being is that it needs to have space to download the update and extract all the data to your hard drive so then all files can be read and your windows 10 is working properly with a fresh start and cleaner look, it deletes data and viruses you've had in the past so then you can have a faster computer or laptop!
I Hope This Helped - First time being smart for the first time, Xyphien sage Don't worry I know these things because I've updated XP to Vista & Vista to Windows 7 with 2 GB Ram & 320 GB Hard Drive.

- BoundlessMotion

Last edited:

Xyphien

Founder
Staff member
Admin
Knights
Unfortunately it does delete all your data, however if you buy a 32 GB or 64 GB USB you can back up all your files from their (Copy and paste files) You could use a 8GB but someone like me a graphics designer and a editor needs more than just a 8GB, If you live round the UK you could buy one from Argos for £20 or so. The Reason being is that it needs to have space to download the update and extract all the data to your hard drive so then all files can be read and your windows 10 is working properly with a fresh start and cleaner look, it deletes data and viruses you've had in the past so then you can have a faster computer or laptop!
I Hope This Helped - First time being smart for the first time, Xyphien Don't worry I know these things because I've updated XP to Vista & Vista to Windows 7 with 2 GB Ram & 320 GB Hard Drive.

- BoundlessMotion
Awesome, thanks for informing me prior to the update. Now my 3 external 2tb hardrives will come in handy XD

Wimali

God of Gaming
I'm totally going to update, sadly im not sure if it's going to affect any game performance since i own Windows 8.
Updating to Windows 10 should not negatively affect your game perfomance, unless said game is badly coded. For most games and software, you should in fact notice a minor increase in performance.

It's just a Beta test or not ?
Right now, you can only "reserve" your upgrade. You don't actually install the OS. It releases officially on July 29, 2015.

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Due to my dad working for a company who partners with windows we already have the windows 10 company version

Looks quite fine, they brought back the actual start menu this time around but integrated the windows 8 layout inside the start menu

acerswap

Semi-Pro
Isn't it for 8.1 users, and not just 8?
How bout windows 7?

Does it delete all current data aswell? :(
Due to my dad working for a company who partners with windows we already have the windows 10 company version
Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 Home/Pro are eligible for the update (SP1 and 8.1 are free updates). Enterprise editions aren't. Windows 10 Insider preview also are eligible. I don't know if Enterprise editions are, but probably it will.

It won't delete your data. It will be installed through a "Windows Update"-like system.
It's just a Beta test or not ?
No.
No reserving free copy for me.
Fucking ashamed to be a pirate.
You can try two ways: one, install the preview version. You must do a clean install for it. Maybe a new partition and after the update migrating the user data with the migration tools provided by MS will work. Otherwise, you can ask a friend who's a student in a university if the U has a Dreamspark account (it must be through the university, if you try to use the general Dreamspark program you can only download the Windows 20xx versions) and can download a legit license for you (Dreamspark versions are eligible too, because they are Home/Pro versions). Students have lots of resources and discounts and most of them don't know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.